Your home insulation might cost you thousands every year—even if you don’t notice anything wrong with it
If you’ve ever noticed a draft in your house, there’s something very wrong with your insulation. A noticeable draft isn’t just annoying—it also increases your utility bills significantly.
However, most insulation problems go unnoticed. They create issues like uneven temperatures around the house and high humidity, which often leads to mold growth and other health hazards. But perhaps the most frustrating problem is high utility bills. It’s often the final reason to check the insulation.
4 problems found in almost all houses’ insulation:
1. Even the smallest leaks in ducts force your A/C and heating system to work overtime. Typically 20-30% of airflow is lost in the duct system. Those leaks are just about impossible to find without specialized equipment, so they usually go unnoticed for years. During that time they cost you hundreds or even thousands of dollars in energy costs.
2. Typical insulation materials settle over time. If you cut open a wall, you’ll likely find all the insulation from the bottom of the wall cavity. That means only the bottom 20% of a wall is insulated. The other 80% of your walls lack insulation in that case.
3. Windows, doors, and other openings on outer walls should be perfectly sealed. Unfortunately often they’re not quite tight, though. If you notice a draft, there’s a hole at the same spot on both sides of the wall. Much more often the holes aren’t in the same exact spots, so you won’t notice anything. That still means air leaks into the wall. No matter which side of the wall the holes are, they make a huge difference to insulation effectiveness and utility bills.
4. Pipes and cables travel in almost all walls. The holes they need in the wall structures are always bigger than the pipes, which leads to air traveling between sections of the walls. Combined with any of the other problems this makes insulation even worse.